Friday, November 5, 2010

Portraits

I submitted this photo for my Portrait project. The contrast is perfect, with the girl's white polka dotted shirt and her beautiful curls and slightly damp skin. I snapped this picture as she was dancing in a night club. She turned her eyes towards the camera at exactly the right moment.
I had trouble asking strangers to take their picture for this project. It was the main aspect of this project I had to overcome, and it was difficult for me. I felt that people would pose more once I asked them if I could take their picture and the moment would be lost. To avoid this, I was instructed to make eye contact before taking a candid shot and smile- be "a little disarming". This valuable nugget of advice is excellent, if you can pull it off. I'm still working on it.
Here is another shot in the club, the DJ caught in a Renaissance portrait pose, one finger pointing up to the heavens while hip hop blares through pounding speakers.
Clearly not a stranger, this is a dear friend and of mine. I intruded upon her and her husband one night to take as many shots as I could. I love this picture because it taught me that canted shots can turn out beautifully and sepia toning is your friend. While I know I should have gone outside my comfort zone, I am still very pleased with how this picture turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment